Cloud computing is a type of Internet-based computing that provides shared computer processing resources and data to computers and other devices on demand. It is a model for enabling ubiquitous, on-demand access to a shared pool of configurable computing resources (e.g., computer networks, servers, storage, applications and services), which can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal management effort.
Cloud computing and storage solutions provide users and enterprises with various capabilities to store and process their data in third-party data centers that may be located far from the user–ranging in distance from across a city to across the world. Cloud computing relies on sharing of resources to achieve coherence and economy of scale, similar to a utility (like the electricity grid) over an electricity network. .
The cloud is definitely proving to be an excellent solution, in technical and economic terms but also, and not least, in terms of security.
As a follower of Microsoft products, I decided to endorse the Microsoft Azure platform that offers a wide amount of cloud solutions to various problems.
Some examples of use of services in the cloud:
- Creating and using virtual machines, both Windows and Linux.
- Creating and using remote databases (Microsoft SQL, MySQL, Oracle, etc ...)
- Hosting of web sites, web services, web applications.
- Use of highly available disk space (storage).
- Active Directory services.
- Backup and disaster recovery for individual computers or entire sites.
- IoT devices management.
- DNS management.
- Streaming of multimedia content.
The list of products and services can be used on web platforms is extremely vast and growing. Contact me if you need more information.